Giki is looking for a back-end developer with good knowledge of Ruby and other back-end technologies. We value a bundle of qualities: open-mindedness, technical skill, good decision-making, being practical and kindness.
You’ll be joining a start up social enterprise with a big mission: build a platform for open sustainability data, covering a range of environmental, health and social issues, on product, brands and companies.
Please submit a short paragraph telling us why you’d like to work for Giki including an example of how you have used / could use coding to solve a sustainability problem you are concerned about.
You’ll be focussing on development of our back end infrastructure and the services that power them.
• An API built using Postgres, Ruby, Ruby on Rails hosted on AWS
• A data warehouse containing sustainability information on brands and companies
We expect you to spend your time on the backend parts of the stack but you’re welcome, and encouraged, to grow into the other parts too such as our React Native app.
Not only will you get the chance to build an amazing product but you’ll also be part of a team with real purpose. You will work with our development partners and the co-founders who will encourage you to contribute and implement your own ideas.
• Passionate about technology and its ability to be a force for good
• Able to work designing the architecture for, and planning of, your own solutions to problems
• Experience using a back-end MVC framework in a dynamic language, preferably Ruby-on-Rails
• Experience working with SQL databases, designing schemas and writing custom queries
• Happy on GitHub
• Be open, communicative, and fun to work with
• Have a keen interest in open data, data analysis and visualising data
• Competitive salary with potential equity
• Good holiday
• Flexible working